The Juniata House
Pauline and Don Leonard have generously donated the Leonard Home (Juniata House) to the Watrousville-Caro Area Historical Society, and by so doing, have challenged our society to accomplish its mission of preserving local history.
The house, built in 1858 by Patrick McGlone, is an example of Greek Revival Architecture. Tom Mudd, a Saginaw historian, visited the house and declared the house noteworthy of restoration.
Patrick McGlone, one of the earliest settlers in Juniata Township, moved his family to 160 acres of land in February, 1851. He cleared a farm and built this homestead where he raised his family of four daughters and two sons. “Mr. McGlone was the moving spirit in getting a State Road built from the corner of northeast quarter of section 16 range 8, to Sebewaing” (Vassar Pioneer Times 5/16/89). He also kindly opened his home to many early settlers, giving them food and a place to rest, as they traveled to develop Michigan’s Thumb.
The Leonard family moved to Watrousville in 1885. Orin Leonard, his brother, Charlie and Orin’s son Eugene purchased the former Burdick store and house, located across the street from the current store. The farm and the house have remained in the Leonard family since 1885.
Marguerite Leonard was born in 1896 to Eugene and Margaret McCrumb Leonard in the house located behind the current store. When she was nine years old, she moved with her family to the current Leonard home. She spent her entire ninety years in Watrousville. She attended the Watrousville School until the tenth grade, and she was active in her Church, playing the piano for over fifty years as well as giving piano lessons to Watrousville students. She was a charter member of the Watrousville-Caro Area Historical Society and enjoyed spending many hours in the museum talking with visitors and recalling the history and people of Watrousville. (Material provided by Pauline Leonard).