The Lincoln Flag Pole
This pole was raised in 1864 during Abraham Lincoln’s second campaign for the presidency. It is quite certain this is the last “Lincoln Pole” standing in the United States. At the top of the pole a maul was fixed to represent the one Lincoln used as a boy to split logs.
At one time a Democratic Township Board decided this 80 foot pole was dangerous so it was lowered. The red cedar pole was found to be in perfect condition so Republicans and Veterans of the Civil War raised it once again, embedding its base in a block of concrete bearing the inscription: “For Abe Lincoln 1864”
When the pole was first erected, Mrs. John Walton made an American Flag, containing thirty-five stars, to be flown from the pole. The flag is on display at the Watrousville Museum.
Originally, the Lincoln Flag Pole was 80 feet tall. Today it stands 48 feet with the top 10 feet encased in sheet metal. The maul has been lost to time. In 1904, the pole was removed and bolstered at the base. In 1928, it was given a concrete foundation. It was removed and reset in October of 1974 to allow for road widening. It came down again in a wind storm on June 14, 2005 – Flag Day. It was promptly restored and we hope it doesn’t come down again.